My Breast Cancer Journey
One Sunday morning, I was listening to music and tapped on my chest. I felt a lump and my heart skipped a beat. It was March 31, 2019. At 40 years old, I didn't realize my life would be changed. I asked my husband to feel my chest and he confirmed that it was in fact a lump. I shredded a tear, jumped in the shower, and prayed to GOD. I refused to worry about what I could not change. An appointment was made right away. I received a biopsy and on April 8th, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer. On May 10th I started chemotherapy treatments which took place every three weeks (6 rounds). On October 17, 2019, I had a double mastectomy. As of today, I am CANCER FREE!!!
Walking with faith helped me through my journey.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” - Jeremiah 29:11
Care Package Recipient Application
In keeping with our goal to help as many survivors as we financially can, we have created a simplified criteria for the identification and selection of gift and care package recipients. The selection criteria is as follows:
To be considered to receive a gift or care package from She Still Smiles, a breast cancer survivor shall:
- Reside in the Washington D.C., Maryland or Virginia (DMV) area;
- Be recommended by a board, committee or volunteer of She Still Smiles Inc;
- Provide a nomination letter telling the story of their journey with a minimum of 500 words;
- Agree to allow their story to be shared on the She Still Smiles website
The selection process shall be as follows:
- Nomination letters will be independently reviewed and ranked 1 thru 10 by each board member
- The Vice Chair shall be responsible for tallying the boards rankings to determine a consensus
- The Chair shall have final approval of the recommendations or may request a reassessment